2017 Vegetarian Food Fair Recipes
The World of Tzu Chi | August 18, 2017 by Northeast Region
Our founder, Master Cheng Yen, teaches us that we should devote our time toward carrying out good deeds each day, cultivating good karma with all sentient beings. By following a vegetarian diet, we can protect our planet, gather good karma, and be in harmony with the earth. Positive change begins with just one person, and if we all choose to eat consciously, we can help halt the progression of climate change one day at a time.
Let’s give it a try at home with these tasty recipes!
Wisdom Gua Bao
Both salty and sweet, Gua-Bao is a traditional Chinese dish that is also commonly known as a “Chinese hamburger,” and since it is vegetarian, it’s also healthy.
8 pieces of marinated vegetarian meat
(sold in vegetarian stores)
Chinese sauerkraut, coriander, sweet peanut powder
(amount depending on preference)
8 pieces of lettuce
8 pieces of gua-bao (sold in Chinese supermarkets)
120g of soy sauce, sugar, 120g of water, and star anise.
- Soak the Chinese sauerkraut in water for 30 minutes. Wring out, and cut into small pieces. Sauté ginger until aromatic. Add Chinese sauerkraut and sugar until the mixture is thick.
- Add 1 portion of soy sauce, 1 portion of water, and 1 piece of star anise to the marinated vegetarian meat. Cook over low heat until thick.
- Place all ingredients into the gua-bao.
King Oyster Mushrooms in Pesto Sauce
It's easy to catch a cold when the weather varies greatly from one day to another. This nutritious dish will help keep you healthy, and mushrooms can also strengthen one’s immune system!
1 pound of King Trumpet mushrooms and basil
2 tablespoons of garlic oil (mix 1 tablespoon of chopped garlic and 1 tablespoon of olive oil), 1 tbsp of butter, crushed walnut, parmesan cheese, black pepper, sea salt.
- Cross-cut the mushrooms 1cm thick, and then cross-cut on the opposite side. Pan-fry the mushrooms.
- Add the sliced basil leaf, then combine all seasonings.
- Add butter.
Unity Mochi with Peanut Powder
Sweet and soft, yet full of texture, mochi goes great with tea, and is easy to make at home.
1 cup of Japanese sweet rice flour
1 cup of Thailand sweet rice flour
(can be replaced with sesame powder or coconut powder based on preference)
1 ¼ cup of cold water, 3 teaspoons of sugar, vegetable oil, and coconut milk.
- Mix the Japanese and Thailand sweet rice flour, and steam over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Stir steamed sweet rice flour, and let cool.
- Separate sticky rice into small balls, and dip in peanut powder (or sesame powder or coconut powder).
Regimen Steamed Pumpkin Buns
700g of all-purpose flour
350g of wheat flour
a half-teaspoon of salt
20g of yeast baking powder
- Cut the pumpkin into large pieces and use a rice cooker to steam for 7 minutes, adding a half-cup of water to the outer pot.
- Mix yeast baking powder with warm water (please refer to the instructions on the package). Add all-purpose flour, wheat flour, pumpkin, and mixed yeast baking powder. Add water slowly, rub all ingredients into non-sticky dough.
- Place a wet cloth on the dough, and let ferment for 69-90 minutes.
- Cut the dough into long pieces, then into smaller pieces.
- Place the small pieces of dough into a pot to steam, let them ferment for 15 minutes.
- Boil water, and steam over medium heat for 15 minutes.
vegetarian pork balls
fried bean curd
1,000g of water, 15g of rice vinegar, 60g of seaweed soy sauce, sweet chili sauce, 60g of ketchup, sweet rice flour water, and 20g of sugar.
- Cut corn and white radish into chunks.
- Boil water, mix in sweet chili sauce and ketchup, then thicken the sauce with sweet rice flour and water for the dipping sauce.
- Add water, rice vinegar, and seaweed into one pot. Boil over low heat.
- Cook white radish and corn over low heat for 15 minutes, then add in other ingredients. Cook for 3 minutes.
Mixed Fruit and Vegetable Smoothie
This smoothie is packed with fruit and vegetables, providing a great source of nutrition and fiber. You can help keep the whole family healthy with this beverage, and it can even be used as a type of ‘food medicine.’
3 slices of red cabbage
½ stalk of celery
5 pieces of pineapple
1 spoon of Jing-Si multi-grain instant mix
500cc of cold water
- Cut tomato, carrot, celery, apple, and pineapple into small pieces, then mix with other ingredients in a juicer for 1 minute. Best to drink within 30 minutes.
At-Ease Cold Noodles with Peanut Sauce
This cold noodle dish is a popular summer meal in Shanghai. It is delicious and easy to make.
hot pickled mustard tuber
peanut butter, soy sauce, rice vinegar, and chili oil.
- Steam the noodles.
- Use the water used for steaming to cook the noodles.
- Mix in olive oil, and let noodles cool. Then, add in other ingredients.
Sliced Chilled Bitter Melon in Plum Juice
This bitter melon dish is cool and crunchy, and by adding plum juice or plum powder, the sweet and sour combination makes it a delicious appetizer!
2 bitter melons
2-3 spoons of plum juice or 3 teaspoons of plum powder
- Cut the bitter melon in half, clean out the seeds, then cut into 0.1cm slices. Add salt, and wait 1 hour until the melon becomes soft, then drain the water.
- Add plum juice or powder, depending on preference.
- Store it in a refrigerator for 1 hour or more.
- Both green and white bitter melons can be used.
- Wolfberry can be added as well.
- Cut the bitter melons as thinly as possible.
- If no plum juice is available, you can alternatively use a mixture of 3 plums, ½ bowl of hot water, and 1 tablespoon of sugar or plum powder.
- Can also add chili.
Jing Si Mooncake
Jing Si instant mixes are made out of natural grains, are full of nutrition, and are good for your stomach. Mooncakes made from these instant mixes have a wonderfully refreshing taste, and these pastries are very simple to make, as no baking is involved.
Crust material (1 portion will make 120g):
60g of Jing Si multi-grain instant mix
10g of cooking oil
25g of water or plum juice
10g of Jing Si red bean powder
18g of Jing Si cocoa flavor instant mix
10g of crushed walnuts
20g of hot water
- Mix the ingredients for the crust (Jing Si multi-grain instant mix, cooking oil, and water) into dough.
- Mix the ingredients for filling - red bean instant powder and hot water first, then add in the crushed walnuts, and separate into small mounds of dough.
- Use a mooncake mold, and apply oil inside. Put the filling mixture created in step 2 into the crust mixture created in step 1, and place the dough into the mold. The opening should face up. Close the mold, and then remove the product.
- The crust can be made from various flavors of Jing Si instant mixes.
- Mashed red bean or green bean can also be used as filling.
- No need to store these mooncakes in a refrigerator - it will harden the crust.
- Best to serve within 3-4 days.
Stir-Fried Rice with Toon Sauce
Chinese mahogany is colorful, nutritious, and appetizing! Among the many different vegetarian dishes, Chinese fried rice with mahogany is one of the most popular.
4 small packages of Jing Si instant rice
2 cups of sticky rice
20 Chinese mahogany leaves 10 Chinese mushrooms
5-6 spoons of crushed ginger
1 spoon of soy sauce
1 spoon of sesame oil
1 teaspoon of Jing Si vegan seasoning powder
(preserved cabbage flavor)
- Soak the sticky rice for 5-6 hours. Drain, and cook.
- Pour 5600cc of hot water over the instant rice, cover, and wait 20 minutes until it is cooked.
- Mix the sticky rice and the instant rice.
- Clean Chinese mahogany leaves, removing the stem. Blanch with boiled water, then shock with cold water to keep the leaves green. Drain, and mince.
- Soak the Chinese mushrooms, then cut into thin slices.
- Saute the Chinese mushrooms, and place aside.
- Saute mashed ginger, then add in the Chinese mahogany and Chinese mushroom. Turn off heat, and add in the instant rice and sticky rice. Stir in other ingredients, adding soy sauce and vegan seasoning powder. Finally, add sesame oil.
- Blanching the Chinese mahogany can reduce the nitrite salt in it.
- Chinese mahogany can be chopped and placed in cans and kept in the freezer.
- Mashed ginger can increase the fragrance of instant rice, and help the metabolism.
- Sticky rice can add to the texture of food.